jueves, 12 de noviembre de 2009

Brassicas and Haggis

Brassica - the family which cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kolirabi, sprouts, etc belong to, are pretty easy to grow here in the Marina Alta.
My experience is that they enjoy the cool of winter here, rather than our hot summers. In hot weather I find that broccoli wants to try to “bolt”, and generally they like cooler conditions.
At presente I have sprouts, curly kale, broccoli, cauliflower and variuos varieties of cabbage on the go. I have been given many of the plantlets by Snr Alex, many thanks.
The snails can be rather fond of young plants, as can be caterpillars. White fly can also be a bit problematic, however some Neem oil or a light solution of washing up liquid well diluted will do the trick.
On the positive side we have a bountiful supply of which some of it I freeze for all year round use.
I rotate plant brassicas so that they are not in the same part of the patch for at least 3 years. I don't know if club-root is a problem in Spain, however the ploicy of prevention rather than cure I always find works best.
I will plant some romanesco, the sort of green pointed cauliflower looking thing, this weekend along with some more kolirabi which I am so fond of. The flavour I find very similar to “neeps”. Talking of neeps I heard a nasty rumour that on the Mediterranean they hunt haggis all year round and don't have a closed season!! I dearly hope that it is only a nasty rumour.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario